Squadron Sponsoring Committee (SSC)
The Sponsor Committee of an Air Cadet squadron is a group of civilians working with squadron staff to represent the Air Cadet Movement within the local community, to ensure indispensable local support for squadron needs, to provide support, and to make necessary arrangements for squadron activities.
The committee is comprised of the following positions:
- 1st Vice-Chair
- 2nd Vice-Chair
All positions are documented in the Sponsor Committee Charter. These positions are all by nomination and are usually changed every two years through elections. There are many small sub-committees formed throughout the year to deal with such items as fund raising, coordinating dances, planning annual parades and newsletters.
The main responsibilities of the Sponsoring Committee are:
- Maintain a committee or group of adequate strength to support the Squadron.
- Delegate responsibilities to Members of the Committee, such as finance, publicity, enrolments, accommodation, liaison with other Air Cadet Squadrons, etc.
- Publicize the aims of the squadron within the community, while seeking support.
- Provide the squadron with suitable quarters for administration and training.
- Organize and conduct fund-raising campaigns to ensure necessary funds are available for squadron needs.
- Manage funds raised for squadron benefit.
- Assist Squadron Officers in devising and carrying out Squadron projects that will be of benefit to the community.
- Work with the Commanding officer (CO) in selecting Air Cadets for training reward activities.
- Assist the Commanding officer in every way possible to ensure proper custody and care of equipment on loan to the unit from DND.
- Seek and obtain adequate premises for Squadron activities.
- Organize recruiting that is aimed at enrolling new members of the Sponsor Committee.
- Ensure that cadets are evaluated and treated fairly.
Help is needed on a one-time basis for specific activities, and on an on-going basis for sub-committees or other activities. Perhaps you’d like to help with a field training exercise or supervise your child during fund raising activities. For some specific activities, there will be sign-up sheets; however, to indicate that you are willing to help in other ways, please talk to the Chair of the Sponsor Committee. Your help with committee activities or donation to fund activities is greatly appreciated
If you are interested in being part of this committee and working with the cadets, we ask that you fill out the following forms:
Every few years you will be asked to renew your volunteer application. You can do so by filling out the following form:
51 Squadron provides a wide range of interesting and educational activities for your teenager, which would not be possible without your support. Donations can be made directly to the squadron. Cheques can be made out to “51 CASM Air Cadet Sqn” or eTransfers can be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org. 51 Squadron is a registered not-for-profit group and can supply charitable donation receipts. Tax receipts can be issued for monetary and for in-kind donations at/over $25.
Please contact the sponsor committee chair should you have questions related to donations.